Saturday, December 10, 2005

My heart is full!

Just have to write about the Christmas party I attended tonight. I am the clerk for Company D of the Alabama State Defense Force (ASDF) and we had our company Christmas party tonight - with a buffet style Christmas dinner with all the fixings!

After partaking of the wonderful food, our out-going Top Sergeant handed over his position to our new acting Top Sergeant - a female. I might add right here that all the Senior NCO's of our company are female (of which I am proud to be one)! Hooah!

The commander presented the out-going Top Sergeant with a beautiful placque of appreciation, which was highlighted with a photograph of the entire company (43 strong!). He was touched and not many dry eyes then!

Then, surprise of surprises, I was called forward and directed to a chair which was laughingly referred to as the "hot seat." I was completely taken aback to be called forward, with no knowledge of what I had done or hadn't done to be the center of attention all of a sudden. The commander then called the XO and the new Top Sergeant forward and I thought I had done something wrong or was going to be "roasted." Lo and behold, I was presented with an American Flag, shell casings shined to a magnificent brilliance, and a case for the flag on behalf of my deceased husband. You see, I never received a flag when Kermit died (he was retired/disabled from the U. S. Army, with combat service in Viet Nam) and I recall telling a certain person about it. She, the now Top Sergeant, swore the entire company to secrecy and set about seeing to it that I received a flag. Never have I been so touched by anything as I was when that flag was handed to me. Needless to say, I blubbered like a baby. And, to be honest, I don't believe there were many of those present (32 of us) that weren't wiping away a tear or two.

Then, the commander was called forward to sit in the "hot seat." The senior staff presented him with a beautiful briefcase, with a brass tag on which was etched his name, rank, and company name. He was as surprised with his gift as I was with mine - once again tears ran freely.

We played "dirty Santa" with the gifts after that - and laughter was just what this old gal needed! Hilarity reigned supreme when one particular gal had everything she selected taken away from her, as well as the commander. I came away with a MagLite, something I have wanted for a long time. I took it away from the commander - nervy of me, right? NOT!

It was an absolutely wonderful evening, spent with people I know care about me a great deal. Nothing can be any better than that!

Mickey Finn has spouted off.


2 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

So glad you had a great time. And it certainly sounds like you did. I bet Miss Freckles was glad to see you when you got home.

Also glad the fog cleard up for you. Nothing scarier then foggy roads day time or evening.

Have a great Sunday evening.
Patty

12:13 PM PST  
Blogger Patty said...

Mickey,
Just wanted to let you know, Mama Mouse is back again. You'll have to check out her blog.

In case I don't get back here again before Christmas, have a great one. Hope some of your family will be able to spend a little time with you and Miss Freckles.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

7:47 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home