Friday, December 09, 2005

Freezing Fog?

Awoke this morning to a world completely encased in a heavy blanket of fog, which was freezing onto the ground practically before my eyes. My front porch was a miniature skating rink! Poor Miss Freckles, as she attempted to make a hasty exit from the house to her "special" place in the yard, very nearly splatted herself into the pecan tree in the front yard because she just couldn't get a good foot hold on ANYTHING!

I heard a freight train tooting its mournful song from almost 13 miles away, that's how eerily quiet it was at 6:00 this morning. I don't hear the trains as they swoosh through town very often, but this morning I had to look carefully to make sure it wasn't coming down my road! There wasn't a breath of air moving and I could very nearly hear the fog as it crashed onto the ground and froze.

As I headed for work this morning, I noticed fishermen were putting their boats into the backwater. Through a break in the fog, I could see the disjointed head and shoulders of a man who apparently was standing in his boat. Kinda sorta gave me the shivers and the hair on the back of my head stood straight out at the apparition! Surreal doesn't explain how it looked and felt!

I didn't stay at work long - heater in the office quit and it became much too cold to continue working. Now, for those of you in really cold climes, 28 degrees probably doesn't seem cold to you. But to those of us who often find ourselves complaining about 100 degree weather being a tad on the warm side, 28 degrees is taxing to our thin blood!

After the fog lifted, the sky was so blue it actually hurt to look at it. Bright sunshine with no warmth to it tempted me to go outside to search for pecans, but believe me when I say it wasn't but a short time in that still, cold, crisp air before I was heading for a warm place to recover from the full body shivers from which I found myself suffering! Never had had any Long Johns, but am seriously contemplating purchasing a set for this winter! Great grimy gobs of greasy, gritty, gummy, goofy, gopher guts - I'm a wus!

Franklin, my resident squirrel, is minus most of his tail tonight! He was not quite quick enough to evade Miss Freckles' snapping teeth. She, Miss Freckles got a mouth full of squirrel tail fur, and Franklin escaped to the top of the oak tree in a snit because of his naked tail! Miss Freckles had a rather bemused expression on her face when she realized all she had was fur and no squirrel! It was a very funny episode - a comedy of errors almost!

Mickey Finn has spouted off!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home