Monday, September 12, 2005

Wedding blue jeans?

I've been invited to a wedding next Sunday - PLUS, my grand-daughter is getting married on October 1st! Kinda sorta thought I'd better check my wardrobe to determine whether or not I have anything befitting such occasions and that would look good with my newest best friend - my black cane!

Stepped into my closet, pushed all the blue jeans and sweatshirts to one side - 98% of my wardrobe! Found a red suit - 3 sizes too big! The standby basic black dress with matching coat is 4 sizes too big! Found a lovely glen plaid skirt and a beautiful blouse I purchased in Paris, France in 1995 - they also are 3 sizes too big! Hmm, I mused, it seems that my wardrobe is very lacking in dress-up attire!

Now, I could alter the dress and coat - yes, I could! But, doing alterations is not something I really enjoy doing! In fact, actually detest doing alterations, because the clothes just don't ever seem to look as good when I get done with the taking in, even with the concentrated effort I make to be precise with measurements, etc. I'd much rather build an outfit from scratch as to alter one, but that's out of the question what with the high price of material and patterns these days.

Besides, I further contemplated, why in the world have I kept those few items which I can no longer wear? Sentimental reasons? They look nice hanging there? If I were to be completely honest with myself, I'd completely forgotten I still had these items!!

I'm not going to be able to attend my grand-daughter's wedding - doctor put a hiatus on my either driving or riding that far away (it's a 5-hour trip to where my eldest son and family live). I'm not supposed to be driving at all, and haven't told my doctor how I get to his office each week, either! Have explained situation to son and he said he understood.

Wedding on up-coming Sunday is daughter of a dear friend - someplace on the other side of the county. Not really sure directions included in invitation are followable - think they were written in a language I've not yet learned how to read! I've read them at least five times, and get more and more confused with each perusal! If I don't show up, they will think I couldn't find my way there and all will be well!

However, something has to be done about my very one-sided type of wearing apparel. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to visit local thrift stores to find wonderful treasures - if I can keep away from the blue jean racks!

3 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

Our one daughter just purchased a couple of items for herself and said they are really nice, she spent a total of $18.00 and even got a few items for her child. She went to a Good Will Store and said she plans on checking it out again real soon. Said she couldn't have gotten one outfit for herself for $18.00 even shopping at K Mart or Wal Mart.

So that might be something to check out, if you have one in your area.

It's a shame you will have to miss the Granddaughter's wedding, perhaps they can tape it and send a tape to you.

3:59 PM PDT  
Blogger Wes said...

There are an awful lot of weddings coming up. I'm in 2 this month (not my own!).

5:30 PM PDT  
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

I'm sorry you will have to miss your granddaughter's wedding! I hope Patty is right and there will be a tape for you to at least see.

As for blue jeans for a wedding ... my son's 2nd wife decided she didn't want a big wedding OR a wedding dress. So instead they got married in Vegas and she wore .... BLUE JEANS! LOL

Besides ... clothes really aren't important ... its the smile on your face and the love in your heart! Anyone that thinks that clothes are more important that the inner you is just mistaken!

9:42 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home