Friday, September 02, 2005

My prayers are with the people on the Gulf Coast.

My eyes and ears are hurting from the barrage of horrors reported from the Gulf Coast. My brain is scrambled from attempting to cope with processing images that will haunt me for a long time to come. I turn off the television and play CD's with classical and oldies music with the hope of achieving a sense of normalcy. But, something from deep within me causes me to pick up the remote control and once again tune in to CNN! What is wrong with me? What is making me feel the NEED to see and hear the ongoing reporting of the devastation over such a wide area, affecting so many people?

My emotions have been on a literal roller coaster - from awe at the scope of the merciless power of mother nature; confusion as to why some have resorted to shooting at those who are attempting to help; anger at the reports concerning help needed that seems to be heading south at a snail's pace; amazement upon hearing (finally) that assistance and funds will be sent from many countries around the world; understanding for those who have had to resort to stealing food in order to feed themselves and their families; admiration for the fortitude of so many under such dire circumstances; frustration because I can do nothing physically or financially to help; relief when someone is rescued, receives a hot meal, or a lost loved one is found; and most of all, overpowering sorrow for those who have lost everything and who now have no idea where they will go and what they will do.

I have no answers for the two questions I asked.

However, I believe in the power of prayer and I will continue to pray for those who are displaced and for all those who will help.

3 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

Micky, I to can only offer prayers. We are retired like you, living on a fixed income, then yesterday I received word that starting in Jan. our hospitalization will go up for the two of us, a month, by $181.35 on top of what we are already paying . And prescriptions will also rise in cost, but not to drastic. But where will it all end?

We are thinking about selling out and moving to a county where Real Estate Taxes are cheaper. But then I am just thankful we have a home.

Still thankful you weren't caught up in the storm. Cory said they had some damage but nothing like the hard hit areas. So glad you are both safe.

10:28 AM PDT  
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

My ears, if not my eyes, are drawn to CNN every waking moment this week. I listen to repeats of repeats of repeats of the daytime shows that are reaired in the middle of the night.

When I watch the images I find myself crying and yelling WHY??? Not to God ... but to our own government. WHY has the help been so slow in coming ... the wave after wave of man made tragedies overwhelming every living person in New Orleans ... much of which could have been alleviated or prevented by our government. Proper planning for a totally expected (at some point in time) occurence.

Oh lordy ... I"m rambling again. I agree with you one million percent.

I HAVE to watch CNN ... I cannot stop.

4:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Annake said...

The response to this tragedy has been sad. I am appalled that it has taken as long as it has for even the little help that has finally arrived. This isn't something that just came out of nowhere. The relief agencies had PLENTY of advance warning that not only was the hurricane coming, but how POWERFUL it was. To say that they were "overwhelmed" by it all and couldn't have possibly been prepared for the destruction is nothing more than a case of covering their butts! They should all be ashamed of themselves for failing the very people who were depending on them. It even took our vacationing President 5 days to finally figure out that the response was "unacceptable." Ha! Pathetic is more like it.

4:54 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home