Monday, September 05, 2005

Good Weekend! How was yours?

This past weekend was a wonderful one for me. Although I cannot contribute much physically to the activities for our group, I was at least able to attend a recruiting drive/security commitment at a local park on Saturday and Sunday.

I have 10 completed Qual Forms and promises from 3 others to join up at our next meeting. Best part of it all, I recruited 8 of the 10 who filled out the required forms! Although all I could do is sit most of the time, it surely didn't prevent me from talking!
If half of those who stated they would be at our meeting on 15 September, I will consider the recruiting drive a success.

Being out and about with people who show concern for my well-being and make every effort to look out for me while with them was excellent therapy for me. I cannot begin to explain to anyone how frustrating it is to NOT be able to do anything other than present myself as a warm body at functions. Yeah sure, I do lots of paper work at home, but any one can do that job - I'm not so stupid as to think I can't be readily replaced in my position as company clerk!

The food one of our members cooked for everyone - all I can say about it is WOW! A collection basket was maintained for everyone to contribute toward the cost of the food, but no amount can accurately pay for the morale boost a good home-cooked meal offers.

The majority of our group of volunteers was terribly disappointed to not have been activated to help with the on-going need as a result of hurricane Katrina. Assisting FEMA, EMA, Red Cross, and other like organizations during emergencies and disasters is our primary mission, even while the emergency or disaster is occurring. Though we aren't permitted to leave the boundaries of Alabama, those on the gulf coast of our state need all the help they can get. Our recruiting drive was considered to be low on the totem pole of importance. Those who were chomping at the bit to help out over the long weekend seemingly were ignored. However, there are about 15 from our Battalion who were deployed for a week and will be in the Mobile area for another four or five days.

My main reason for writing a blog today is - although I digressed a little bit - to attempt to put into words how good it felt to contribute SOMETHING over the weekend. And, I've found there just is no way to appropiately do so. If my doctor knew I'd been at the park for nine hours each day on Saturday and Sunday, there wouldn't be much left of my hind end after he got through chewing me out! Well, what he doesn't know won't hurt me - and I was exceptionally careful in what I did and how I did it. My Momma didn't raise any fools - of course, she didn't have any kids what lived, neither!

2 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

Sometimes just getting out like you did is better then any old medicine that the doctor could have ordered. You know your own body better then he does. Glad you had a great week-end.

3:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

You can sit down at a table at home and ANYwhere else! What's the difference? And getting out helps with your outlook and that alone helps your physical being.

And I certainly know what it is like to be a 'warm body' and ONLY a warm body at functions where volunteers are needed. I have, however, been in this position for a significantly longer amount of time than you have. I'm more used to it.

I'm so glad that you got out ... did something useful ... and feel GOOD about it and the weekend! THAT is so very important!

If you doctor ever chews you out for something like this ... tell him a happy person is a healthier person than a depressed person .... REGARDLESS of their physical ailments!

8:44 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home