Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Feel better now

I accidentally tuned in to the Oprah show this afternoon. Didn't linger very long - continued clicking with the remote control until I found something interesting to watch. Stayed with the Animal Planet for most of the hour before the evening news came on.

Something happened to me one day as I WAS watching Oprah and the fashion show she highlighted that day. As she exclaimed with obvious delight that a top priced at over $300.00 was "cheap," I couldn't help but wonder what I would do with that same $300.00 other than purchase a so-called designer piece of apparel. As the show continued on with other (in my opinion) very expensive clothing and accessories, I wanted to grab Oprah and shake her until she couldn't stand up any more. How many women who watch her show can afford the items she calls "some of her favorite things," or the designer's fashions she so often touts.

Now, don't misunderstand me, please. I'm always thrilled when someone who came up with nothing makes good. It's the great American dream, after all! What does bother me is that with the bazillions of dollars Oprah is now worth, she makes me feel as if I'm less than I am because I'm on a fixed income and haven't been able to purchase anything - designer or otherwise - for myself in years. Flaunting her wealth with name dropping who designed this, or how much this costs, or how much good she has done for these or those kinda sorta rubs me the wrong way. So, to prevent feeling less than I really am, I don't watch her show anymore! I'm sure if I had more than just barely enough to get by, I wouldn't take umbrage.

I know, I know, it's not my place to judge. Hopefully, I'm not doing that. I really hope that what I'm doing is expressing the way someone makes me feel.

Onward and upward. I read Arc's posting about a cat who mysteriously appeared at her window after her Gram died. It really touched my heart, especially when she went on to say she named the cat Grams and how it likes many of the things that her REAL Gram liked. The spirit of someone Arc loved seems to bring her solace.

When times get especially hard for me, I actually can see and feel my Gram, who has been gone for 60 years. I was with her when she died - I was just a little sprout of a seven-year-old who absolutely adored Gram. While holding on to my hands, the last thing she said before passing away was "remember what I've taught you." I have and I do, Gram.

Phew, don't usually complain like I did about Oprah and hardly ever mention my Gram. Feel better now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mama Mouse said...

I dislike Oprah for many reasons ... not the least of which is her faux generousity. Most of the things she 'gives away' are tax write-offs anyhow. Others are out and out donations from the manufacturers or designers. So what kind of generousity is THAT?

Her flaunting her lifestyle and wealth bothers me too ... a LOT. I don't watch her either.

Now MY grandmother was wonderful too ... and has been gone 50 years. I loved her tremendously and I wish a cat would come by that was like her! Its so nice to have them in our lives ... those wonderful grams that loved us like no other ever could! Thanks for sharing your memories.

3:57 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home