Thursday, August 25, 2005

Country living is special

I thought the start of this day would be typically hum-drum - as are most of my mornings. However, not so today!

I decided to enjoy my first cup of coffee on the front porch while Miss Freckles takes care of business. Usually, Miss Mutt Dog of 2005 charges out into the yard, barking at nothing in particular to let me know she is protecting her domain. This morning, though, she stood like a statue while I carefully sat down on the steps with my steaming hot cuppa! There, under the pecan tree in my front yard, also perfectly still, was standing Gigi - the fawn I've named and been watching the past week.

Momma Mia was outside the yard - which is encircled with a chain-link fence, snuffling at her baby. I held onto Miss Freckles, whispered in her ear to be quiet as Momma Mia jump the fence to come rescue Gigi. As I watched in total amazement, and hardly breathing, Momma Mia nudged Gigi toward the fence and as if in slow motion, both of them literally sailed over the fence with ease and grace. Once outside of the yard, they both casually strolled into the pasture across the road and Momma Mia grazed a bit, while Gigi decided it was time for a snack from her Mom.

Miss Freckles made no effort to escape my clutches and she neither growled nor barked. It was as if she knew not to bother that baby. When I did let her go, she went to the fence and quietly watched the two deer across the way as they worked their way into a small stand of trees.

Just before dark in the evenings five to ten deer are usually grazing on the young soy bean crop, I often hear the wild turkeys getting ready to bed down for the night, the pheasants and their babies often stroll along the fence line looking for juicy treats, racoons sneak into the yard to steal my pecans, and Mr. Long Stockings (my resident squirrel) will come up on my porch for his nightly graham cracker treat. Jack, a wonderful and smart crow, hasn't been around in a few days. It has taken me a month to get him to take bread and crackers from my hand. Hope he is okay.

There are definite advantages to living in the country.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

Your setting sounds beautiful. We don't have deer, living in town, but we have racoons, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks and asst. birds. Love the little hummingbirds. What a start for a lovely day.

9:07 AM PDT  
Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Oh how wonderful! That just makes my heart sing! I never knew that deer could jump fences ... apparently they can!

I would love to be able to sit there with you and watch the animals enter our lives and bring a bit of joy and peace to us.

BEAUTIFUL!

4:34 PM PDT  
Blogger Wes said...

It has its ups and downs, I am graced with living 5 minutes from town yet still in the country. I am trying to get caught up on the blogoshpere. Just so you know, all is well (I think). Take care and maybe I can sneak a phone call your way.

4:42 PM PDT  
Blogger Milt Bogs said...

I'd settle for the country every time. Pecan Trees alway make me think of "To Kill A Mockingbird".

4:55 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home