Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I neither speak nor understand Techese!

Hold on now! Tech "stuff" is getting way out of hand! I want a PDA, but have no idea what the acronym means. Folks throw around terms like MP3, IPOD, PS3, XBox, and Symbian phone with wild abandon. Hyper text as opposed to what?

I'm proud to have a fairly up-to-date PC and lap-top, two all-in-one printers, a scanner I use because scanning capabilities in printers doesn't save in format I want, web cam, digital still camera, two dongles for separate digitizing programs, two USB hubs for connecting all my USB devices to PC and one for lap top, CD R/W, DVD Burner, surround sound speakers with woofer for PC, flash card reader, 256 MB USB Data Traveler, as well as one that is 2GB, and wireless keyboard for PC.

I consider myself fortunate that I am able to operate all this mind-boggling equipment with some sense of competence - although have no idea how or why they work as well as they do. Has something to do with software - I do know that! Software - now that's another term that confuses me.

Two of my sons are very involved with computers and what makes them do what they do. One is more into the technical practices of networking, although he does write data bases. The other son does high-end programming, whatever the heck that is. While a college student back in the 90's, I had to create a website, using HTML. Whatever I learned and accomplished, I've forgotten. Can't seem to get it into my head how to put a banner on this site. I'd like to add links and friends, etc. here, but the ability to do so completely evades me. It only took me three tries to change the template, for goodness sake!

While surfing blogsites (using BlogExplosion), the tech language out there can be very formidable - even slightly threatening - to a plain spoken person like me. All the gadgets and gizmos available have made me realize just how antiquated my knowledge ?? of computers and peripherals is.

Technical terms can be very confusing. My version of technical terminology is much easier - thingy, whatchamacallit, thingamajiggy, and whatsitz come closer to my field of understanding. Connecting that thingy to the whatchamacallit works for me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wes said...

PDA Personal Digital Assistant once you get one you become dependent. Do not fear technology, it is your friend and it is designed to make our lives easier.

But for the love of all things good, DO NOT GET A CRACKBERRY, I mean BlackBerry, you will never be able to function without it!

6:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Chris said...

i want to get a crackberry

8:35 AM PDT  
Blogger Wes said...

I got one and I can't imagine life without it. BB 7100T

8:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Dave Knechel said...

What happened? Did you misplace your gizmo?

11:57 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home