Wednesday, July 06, 2005

From out of the blue!

While ensconced on my couch, beneath my favorite quilt, with my dog curled up behind me, I was at that delicious place just before falling into a full sleep - when, the telephone rang. It took me a moment to release myself from the euphoric state I didn't really want to leave, but I did finally manage to put receiver to ear and say "Hello."

Another voice from the past. A widower friend of mine, who's wife died the same year as my hubby, and from whom I hadn't heard since his wife's funeral, questioningly spoke my name. Goodbye euphoria - I immediately figured he was sick and needed help, because his voice was so different. I was fully prepared to go to his aid, if required.

Nope - not the case at all. He just wanted to chat - which we did for an extensive period of time (he's got unlimited long distance!) and got caught up with each other's family news.

During a lull in the conversation and out of the blue, he asked me to have dinner with him on Friday evening! Well, after my jaw bounced a few times on the arm of my recliner and I got what little sense remaining to me gathered, I said yes! Without even thinking about it, mind you! What's the deal with me lately?

This morning, in retrospect, still have no answer! I've known this fellow for a long time - his wife and I were close friends for many years. They moved to PA and we lost touch for about 10 years or so, and then they moved back because of her health. At that time, I was a very busy college student (didn't go to college until in my 50's) and we visited each other only twice before she died. Hate that I didn't see her more often, but can't do anything about the past, now can I? But, now I'm second guessing my decision. Like I said, what's the deal with me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Milt Bogs said...

I think you are just going to have to get a bigger appointment book.

2:50 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home